I’ve been waiting to share with you the Incredible Healing Power of Coconut Oil with you for a while now – but I wanted to try it out for myself first. I purchased my first Nutiva Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil — 54 fl oz a month ago, and i’m almost all out! It has been one of the best purchases I ever made in my life! I use it in my hair almost every night, and the next day its silky smooth and so much stronger. I also use it for a make-up remover, and as a daily moisturizer after I come out of the shower instead of using icky lotions filled with chemicals. I use it to cook, and in my raw-vegan protein shakes – So basically, I’m in love. Here’s why you should love it too.
Coconut oil is one of the healthiest foods on the planet! It used to be believed that saturated fats such as coconut oil were harmful to the body and contribute to heart disease, but we know now that this is not true. In fact, coconut oil is a heart-healthy food that can be used for many health benefits.
There are many populations around the world (such as Thailand, Sri Lanka and the Philippines.) who have thrived for multiple generations by eating large amounts of coconut.
Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which kills harmful pathogens like bacteria, viruses and fungi. Breast milk is the only other natural source that contains such a high concentration of lauric acid, which could explain the drastic decrease of infections in breast-fed babies.
This tropical oil is also made up of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which are metabolized differently than other short-chain and long-chain fatty acids. They are not absorbed by the body as fat, instead they are converted for the use of energy.
Cooking with coconut oil is great since it has such a high smoke point, or burning point. This means that you can cook at higher temperatures without burning the oil and damaging it’s properties. (Consuming burned oils is very bad for your health which is why you also shouldn’t be cooking at high temps with extra virgin olive oil.) Note – cooking with coconut oil doesn’t make your food taste like coconut, it actually has a nice, butter-like appeal.
Here are just some of the many amazing benefits and uses of this miraculous super-food:
- Lower cholesterol through regular consumption of coconut oil.
- Improve immune function and the body’s resistance to both viruses and bacteria with regular consumption of coconut oil.
- Can be used in cooking since it has a high smoke point and will not burn like other cooking oils such as olive oil or butter. Great for sautéing, baking and stir-frys.
- Can help with weight loss if taken daily, since it isn’t stored as fat and may boost your metabolism. (Results have been seen with 1-3 tablespoons a day.)
- Add to smoothies for a whole host of nutritional benefits.
- Can be used as a healthy creamer substitute for coffee.
- Can boost metabolism so you burn more calories naturally.
- Can be used on the skin as a moisturizer. (Apply after you get out of the shower – careful not to use too much!)
- Can be used on the hair as a deep conditioner. (Massage oil into the scalp, and apply all over, focusing on the damaged ends – shampoo twice the next day)
- Apply to your nails as a cuticle softener.
- Apply to skin as a natural sunscreen. (Only an SPF 4 though!)
- Soothe a sunburn or any other type of burn.
- Hydrate dry, cracked feet by coating the feet in oil and sleeping overnight with socks on.
- Can be used as a soothing eye make-up remover.
- Soothes psoriasis and eczema skin conditions.
- Take orally to kill intestinal parasites and yeast overgrowth.
- To replace butter in baking recipes.
- Can be used for minor scrapes and skin rashes as a natural antibacterial ointment.
- Can soothe bug bites and reduce the itch.
- Supports healthy thyroid function.
- Can be used as a scalp treatment for dandruff.
- Can stimulate hair growth.
- Can smooth frizzy hair.
- Mix with epsom salts or brown sugar for a detoxifying all-over body scrub.
- Mix with baking soda for a whitening toothpaste.
- Can improve digestion if taken before meals.
- Can be used as a natural baby lotion and diaper rash cream.
- Fight signs of aging as a natural facial moisturizer.
- Heals cold sores naturally when applied topically.
- When taken daily, can help with allergies.
- When taken daily, can improve sleep and mood.
- Can improve insulin levels for diabetics.
- Can remove bacteria and plaque from the mouth with oil pulling.
- Use as a tropical massage oil.
- May help you to shed “difficult to lose” abdominal fat by taking daily doses of 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Can be therapeutic for brain disorders such as epilepsy and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Reduce appetite with regular consumption.
- Reduce hot flashes through coconut oil’s ability to regulate hormones.
- Absorb fat-soluble vitamins better (like vitamins A, D, E & K).
- Can be used for shaving. It doesn’t wash off and it will moisturize your skin as you shave!
- Can be made into a homemade deodorant.
- Can be made into homemade soap
- Rub on a pregnant belly to prevent stretch marks.