It is FREEZING in New Jersey. I don’t usually complain about the cold – but since I lost a lot of weight, it has really become unbearable!!! LOL. All kidding aside – I find myself dreaming of a warmer climate in a distant land. I can picture myself laying on the soft white sand at the edge of the sea, allowing the warm crystal clear turquoise waters to wash over me. I can hear the sound coconut trees rustling in the breeze… ahh, paradise is found!
…Back to so-called “reality” – it’s monday. Most people are back to work & back to school. According to the local news, today has been declared the “most depressing day of the year”- REALLY?!
Aside from the freezing temperatures, I noticed something so beautiful today! The Sunshine! It’s cosmic power warmed my heart, and made me smile! How can anyone be depressed with such majestic sunshine to bless us with it’s presence for another day? The light symbolizes life, each day I awake to see the sunrise it awakens something within myself to do good, to be better, and not to take anything for granted. We don’t need a holiday or an excuse to celebrate life – Each and every day we must open our hearts to love, give thanks, enjoy & celebrate another day!
If you are fighting the winter blues, here are 12 amazingly simple ways that will have you feeling better in no time:
- Get Some Exercise: The energy in your body is similar to that of the flow of a river. When you do not stimulate it through movement your energy begins to stagnate. Exercise has a very strong impact on how you feel. It may be running, dancing, biking, it doesn’t really matter what aerobic exercise it is, just as long as you bring some form of movement into your day. This will have a direct impact on how you feel. Try connecting with how you feel after you have exercised instead of how you feel before, as this will give you a springboard to feeling fantastic.
- Create Stillness: In our busy lives we can easily get caught up in a state of rushing. Consciously creating stillness for 5 minutes each day creates a calm centered feeling that flavors your entire day. Look to take 5 minutes each day to consciously connect with your breath; this will help you to let go of the pressure that builds up when you are busy, helping you to feel more relaxed.
- Get More Sleep: Rejuvenate your mind, body and spirit with a great night’s sleep. It will allow you to completely let go of your day and feel re-energized to start another.
- Eat Natural Foods: How we fuel ourselves impacts how we feel. Eating and drinking fresh and natural foods as close to the source as possible gives you the energy and balance needed to feel your best.
- Clean Up Your Environment: Where you live, your home, your work, the weather, the seasons, the cycle of the moon and the tides, all have an impact on how you feel. Take some time today to notice how your different environments make you feel, and then look to spend time in a better feeling environment.
- Take A Step Toward Your Dream: We all need momentum in our lives and what better momentum can anyone give themselves than to move one step each day toward living a dream they have. The smallest of things in each and every day can bring so much joy to a person’s life. What Special Moments can you notice today? When you spend a life collecting Special Moments your life becomes Special.
- Learn Something New: Children learn fresh and exciting things each and every day. What is something you can do today which is fresh, maybe spontaneous and exciting? A mind, which is alive, gives life.
- Treat Yourself: Having something to look forward to can keep anyone motivated. Winter seems endless! But if you plan something exciting, your mood improves when you’re anticipating it and when the event actually comes. Plan something that’s exciting to you—a weekend trip, a day at the spa, a party (but keep #5 above in mind), or special event like a play, girls (or guys) night out, or sporting event.
- Avoid Binge Drinking: Staying in with a cold beer or a nice glass of wine may seem like the only thing to do in the winter months, and many people who feel down also tend to turn to alcohol when they’re feeling down. But alcohol is actually a depressant, and rather than improving your mood, it only makes it worse. Avoiding alcohol when you are already depressed is a good idea. Moderate drinking is fine for most people, but binge drinking (defined as having 5 or more drinks in one sitting) is never a healthy choice. The morning after will have you feeling sick, depressed, and even more tired, which will affect many aspects of your life. This will make your low energy and bad mood even worse.
- Call A Friend: Surrounding yourself with positive people with great energy raises your vibration. We tend to gravitate like a magnet toward enthusiasm and drama as they are both high-energy states. Whenever one person is negative, the other is positive and both are contagious. Notice which one you are getting drawn toward during the course of a day.
- Live in the Now: When we become aware of each and every moment we connect with our lives more. We become more balanced in the center of our being. Our mind has chance to calm and we are more able to move into the state of Flow. This is where our Mind Body and Spirit become one and it is in this balanced and enlightened state that we start to connect with and manifest our heart’s desires.
- Count your Blessings: I’m not just talking about being greatful for the “big things” in life, such as health and having enough money. I’m talking about being greatful for the little things we so often take for granted, such as heat in the cold of the night, a pillow to keep you comfortable, or soap and water to freshen up. Begin to acknowledge the little blessings, at least 3 of them before you go to bed each night. You will be astonished how your level of happiness increases drastically over a 30 day period.
These twelve simple elements have the potential to change your life forever by giving you the ability to manage how you feel and create happiness from the inside-out.